What be Discord?

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

What be Discord?

#1 Post by MajorMitchell » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:10 am

What be dis Discord ? Please use simple words to explain to Daffy old fuddy duddy MajorMitchell that his clockwork brain can handle.

Carl Tuckerson

Re: What be Discord?

#2 Post by Carl Tuckerson » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:17 am

Zoomer AIM

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#3 Post by MajorMitchell » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:39 am

Definitely no wiser am I regarding Discord

Octavious

#4 Post by Octavious » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:57 am

Do you remember Yahoo messenger? Discord is pretty much like that, but without the option to play pool.

Claesar

#5 Post by Claesar » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:05 am

It's like sending telegrams, but superior.

MajorMitchell

#6 Post by MajorMitchell » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:50 pm

Does some chap in a superior uniform arrive by bicycle at one's domicile with Diplomacy messages ? I have no idea as to what Yahoo is except that it's an internet thingy and one of those "high technology" listed companies that I stay away from and don't understand

MajorMitchell

#7 Post by MajorMitchell » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:54 pm

I suppose I should refine my question. Why should I join Discord, what are the advantages and disadvantages? How does it affect the way I would use WebDiplomacy ?

Aurelin
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#8 Post by Aurelin » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:50 pm

Discord has basically become the center of the online Diplomacy community, especially as Nexus grows with its mission to bring the Dip communities together. Personally, most of my closest friends on this site were the ones I met over Discord. I could go on and on about how nice the website is, how easy it is to use and all its cool functions, but I'm sure you could find them.

The webDip server, found at https://discord.gg/f2ram4w, is a great space to chat, talk about strategy, and put together games. The Coalition variant is played through the server and hopefully more games like it will be played. Perhaps most importantly, it's reached 261 members, which is 1 more than the PlayDip server. :P

The server was also created and run by yours truly. I'm rather proud of it and the community that's grown there, so I hope you join.

kaner406

#9 Post by kaner406 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:18 am

I basically had the exact same questions, so Amby and I interviewed Ajax from Nexus and found out all about it. You can listen to the podcast here:

https://diplomacygames.com/diplomacy-ga ... acy-nexus/

MilesFM

#10 Post by MilesFM » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:07 am

Pretty much Discord is a way to organise online communities together. Unlike these forums, it is real time (like SMS or Skype) and it has more features when it comes to communication like video/voice chat, text channels and too many other features to count. It was originally started to bring gaming communities together but it is in no way restricted to only gaming. Anyway I prefer it over the forums due to it feeling more causal. The other thing about Discord is that is has a desktop and mobile app but if you prefer you can use a web browser like how we are chatting through this forum. Oh yeah and you do not need an account to join the WebDip discord community (but I would recommend one).

MajorMitchell

#11 Post by MajorMitchell » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:59 am

Big thanks to Aurelin, kaner406 & MilesFM for your posts, dis Discord sounds most interesting. I will consult my internet savvy & constantly computer game playing young nephew as well.

yavuzovic

#12 Post by yavuzovic » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:22 pm

MilesFM wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:07 am
Pretty much Discord is a way to organise online communities together. Unlike these forums, it is real time (like SMS or Skype) and it has more features when it comes to communication like video/voice chat, text channels and too many other features to count. It was originally started to bring gaming communities together but it is in no way restricted to only gaming. Anyway I prefer it over the forums due to it feeling more causal. The other thing about Discord is that is has a desktop and mobile app but if you prefer you can use a web browser like how we are chatting through this forum. Oh yeah and you do not need an account to join the WebDip discord community (but I would recommend one).
Platforms discord supports: PC, mobile
Platforms WebDip Forum supports: PC, mobile, smart TV
Forum beats Discord

MilesFM

#13 Post by MilesFM » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:31 pm

yavuzovic wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:22 pm
MilesFM wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:07 am
Platforms discord supports: PC, mobile
Platforms WebDip Forum supports: PC, mobile, smart TV
Forum beats Discord
Damn, you got me there with that, smart TV!

MajorMitchell

#14 Post by MajorMitchell » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:43 am

That's why I persist with my big old fashioned colour TV that requires a digital TV box thingy, I'm not having a TV in my residence that is smarter than me. I've joined dis Discord thingy based on Aurelin's recommendation, despite hearing on the radio that extremely naughty persons may have used it to communicate, so if I somehow become a stooge for a terrorist organisation I will tell the Coppers that it's all on Aurelin & I am just an innocent prawn in the scheme of things.

MajorMitchell

#15 Post by MajorMitchell » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:01 am

Well since I joined dis Discord & dabbled with backstabber site my phone has been misbehaving.. oh Joy.. will have to get my nephew to investigate