Gmail is disturbing

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Restitution

Re: Gmail is disturbing

#21 Post by Restitution » Thu May 23, 2019 6:27 am

flash2015 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 11:20 pm
In **theory** it doesn't...but again we have no control of the software on these devices. And these mics aren't the same as mics on your phone - they are designed to be able to pickup voices at a distance (just try speaking into your phone more than a couple of feet away on a CC - no-one understands). We have already had multiple instances of people having whole conversations recorded by smart speakers.

It isn't the same as the Google search. Google can't capture everything I type into the computer (unless they have installed a keylogger), only what I specifically typed into the query. With an always on microphone they absolutely can capture everything...you are only trusting that they won't.
No, actually, I'm trusting the fact that plenty of people measure the traffic coming out of these devices and it is verified not the case that it is constantly recording and sending that data upstream.

Also, I work in this industry and we don't do that. There would be massive whistleblowing all of the time. Shitloads of people would need to be in on it if they were recording terabytes of conversations from every single smart speaker on the planet. It would be a conspiracy larger than "bush did 9/11" or faking the moon landing or whatever. Just packet sniff your smart speaker and you will see that this is not the case.

The cases you are talking about are ones where people mention "Alexa" mid-conversation. And I can guarantee that the engineers behind these devices are trying their best to prevent that.

Tugster

#22 Post by Tugster » Thu May 23, 2019 7:41 am

various "people/agencies" can hack into anything, if they really want to badly enough, and it costs time, effort and money to do so, just depends how badly someone wants to know what you are doing and how important you are, or aren't.

Smokey Gem

#23 Post by Smokey Gem » Fri May 24, 2019 1:11 pm

ANY MALE IN A G IS DISTURBING...