Breakfast Food

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Nephthys

Breakfast Food

#1 Post by Nephthys » Fri May 03, 2019 9:00 am

Someone asked me this and its been rather annoying, but what truly defines a breakfast food?

I got as far as only being able to deal with a certain level of richness but then I remembered cooked breakfasts exists....

Curious if anyone has any better ideas?

RoganJosh
Silver Donator
Silver Donator

Re: Breakfast Food

#2 Post by RoganJosh » Fri May 03, 2019 9:37 am

Cake is excellent breakfast.

Claesar

#3 Post by Claesar » Fri May 03, 2019 9:54 am

RoganJosh wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:37 am
Cake is excellent breakfast.
Not sure if that cuts it as a definition. I'd argue there are non-cakes that still qualify as breakfast.

My definition is:
Any food consumed before noon, if it's more than a snack. The goal must be to provide enough energy to last until lunch (though it can be supplemented with snacks to achieve this).
-Claesar, 2019
At noon it transforms into lunch. I don't acknowledge the existence of brunch, except on Easter. I'm willing to define it though, by popular demand.

I mean, cold pizza can be a breakfast, so why not a burger? Or a curry? It's all about the time of day.

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#4 Post by dargorygel » Fri May 03, 2019 12:22 pm

So the Claesar Meal Definition Program (hereafter known as CMDP) defines meals by when such are consumed. This makes some sense, with a few exceptions... the type that might assist to "define the rule." (Or notes...)
a) Oatmeal and other cereals are always breakfast food. Even when eaten for lunch, dinner, or supper, they should be referred to as, "breakfast at lunch," etc.
b) Food genre is determined by time of actual consumption, not preparation. Eating leftovers changes the category in the CMDP.
c) However, more clarification is needed in the CMDP if a meal begins at 11:58 and continues until 3:00 pm (with, presumably a lot of discussion around the table...) Is that meal breakfast? Lunch? Arvo Tea?

Claesar

#5 Post by Claesar » Fri May 03, 2019 12:36 pm

a) I'd say you had "breakfast food for lunch". But then it's already implied when you say cereal, so I'm not certain the distinction is necessary. Not opposed to it though.
b) Yes, very good point.
c) I was expecting this question, but the answer is obvious. It's a breakfast until it isn't. So yes, this breakfast turned into lunch. That's alright.

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#6 Post by dargorygel » Fri May 03, 2019 12:41 pm

So the CMDP (although since this is HIS thread, we should find a way to encorporate Nephthys) needs to be brought to the UN asap.

teacon7

#7 Post by teacon7 » Fri May 03, 2019 12:43 pm

Breakfast food - is likely not something defined by its essence, but by its use. I'm usually more of an essentialist, but this is a clear case of a convention. You could eat steak for breakfast if you wanted.

It's the food eaten for breakfast. If you're really picky, you could say: "breakfast food is the food commonly or normally eaten for breakfast." ...and then quibble about what range of normalcy is normal.

I like yogurt. Also eggs (over medium, with hot sauce). Fruit is good for me but I'm usually not a responsible enough person to eat healthy until I've woken up more.

Percy Williams

#8 Post by Percy Williams » Fri May 03, 2019 12:44 pm

I'm concerned with a). Why is cereal a "breakfast food"? I eat cereal three times a day. :razz:

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#9 Post by dargorygel » Fri May 03, 2019 12:45 pm

teacon7 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:43 pm
Breakfast food - is likely not something defined by its essence, but by its use. I'm usually more of an essentialist, but this is a clear case of a convention. You could eat steak for breakfast if you wanted.

It's the food eaten for breakfast. If you're really picky, you could say: "breakfast food is the food commonly or normally eaten for breakfast." ...and then quibble about what range of normalcy is normal.

I like yogurt. Also eggs (over medium, with hot sauce). Fruit is good for me but I'm usually not a responsible enough person to eat healthy until I've woken up more.
So,teacon, you support the CMDP...

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#10 Post by dargorygel » Fri May 03, 2019 12:46 pm

Percy Williams wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:44 pm
I'm concerned with a). Why is cereal a "breakfast food"? I eat cereal three times a day. :razz:
Ah, Percy... I at LEAST expected a smile from you about, "arvo..."

But instead, this?

Look... original intent and the obvious Platonic Form of some things must be factored in. You can eat it any time you want. But cereal IS breakfast food... (as an exception to the more normal utilitarian definition.)

Percy Williams

#11 Post by Percy Williams » Fri May 03, 2019 12:54 pm

Arvo tea is just a way of life where I live, what joke is there to get?

Percy Williams

#12 Post by Percy Williams » Fri May 03, 2019 12:54 pm

Which is definitely NOT Australia.

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#13 Post by dargorygel » Fri May 03, 2019 12:57 pm

Percy Williams wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:54 pm
Arvo tea is just a way of life where I live, what joke is there to get?
Aye... but other than those who are NOT Australian... the phrase is unknown. One was not making a joke about arvo (tea, or any other activity...) but tossing a bone to you for recognition...

... and to make you non-Aussie (hereafter referred to as NA) feel welcome and warm.

teacon7

#14 Post by teacon7 » Fri May 03, 2019 12:59 pm

dargorygel wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:45 pm
Almost, but not quite. :) I'm taking a very strictly conventionalist line here, which I would not in other circumstances or other philosophical questions. Thus: No exceptions. The nomenclature for food is based solely on use (most commonly eaten during a certain time period), rather than essential qualities or the accidental consumption during a certain time period.

I've eaten oatmeal for lunch. There, I said it. It's the closest thing I can think of to an essential breakfast food... but.... We call oatmeal "breakfast food" because it is commonly eaten then. But there's no essential characteristic saying it has to be eaten in the morning.

If you really want to take an etymological approach and play language games, breakfast is that meal which breaks a fast. And since fasting can be defined as a voluntary cessation of eating, any scheduled meal before which no food is consumed counts as breaking a fast. Thus, every meal is breakfast. MindExplode.gif

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#15 Post by dargorygel » Fri May 03, 2019 1:04 pm

teacon7 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:59 pm
dargorygel wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:45 pm
Almost, but not quite. :) I'm taking a very strictly conventionalist line here, which I would not in other circumstances or other philosophical questions. Thus: No exceptions. The nomenclature for food is based solely on use (most commonly eaten during a certain time period), rather than essential qualities or the accidental consumption during a certain time period.

I've eaten oatmeal for lunch. There, I said it. It's the closest thing I can think of to an essential breakfast food... but.... We call oatmeal "breakfast food" because it is commonly eaten then. But there's no essential characteristic saying it has to be eaten in the morning.

If you really want to take an etymological approach and play language games, breakfast is that meal which breaks a fast. And since fasting can be defined as a voluntary cessation of eating, any scheduled meal before which no food is consumed counts as breaking a fast. Thus, every meal is breakfast. MindExplode.gif
Annoying purist.

However, my addendums are simply MY addendums. And not part of the C(N)MDP. Seems to me that your diatribe here supports the upcoming UN proposal that Claesar is composing.

Octavious

#16 Post by Octavious » Fri May 03, 2019 1:13 pm

Utter tosh. Breakfast is the first meal of your day, pure and simple. Doesn't matter if it's a fry up, bowl of cornflakes, or a chocolate bar out of a ration pack. If you're having breakfast at lunchtime you may legitimately call it lunch, but it is also breakfast. This has been well described as lunch-breakfast duality as observed in the Young's Brunch experiment.

teacon7

#17 Post by teacon7 » Fri May 03, 2019 1:19 pm

dargorygel wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 1:04 pm
Annoying purist.
Guilty. As. Charged.
dargorygel wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 1:04 pm
However, my addendums are simply MY addendums. And not part of the C(N)MDP. Seems to me that your diatribe here supports the upcoming UN proposal that Claesar is composing.
:razz: Coalitions are an important part of the political process, and it seems I find a lot in common with the proposal.

Percy Williams

#18 Post by Percy Williams » Fri May 03, 2019 1:53 pm

Octavious wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 1:13 pm
Utter tosh. Breakfast is the first meal of your day, pure and simple. Doesn't matter if it's a fry up, bowl of cornflakes, or a chocolate bar out of a ration pack. If you're having breakfast at lunchtime you may legitimately call it lunch, but it is also breakfast. This has been well described as lunch-breakfast duality as observed in the Young's Brunch experiment.
What about second breakfast? Where breakfast foods are consumed at a breakfast time, but undoubtedly separate enough from first breakfast to be a new meal ( say, an hour or two).

e.m.c^42

#19 Post by e.m.c^42 » Fri May 03, 2019 2:30 pm

But then, when would breakfast be if you pull several all-nighters? and snack every 4 hours or so continuously....for those few days

*ahem*
not that I'm speaking from experience, of course.... :d

I say breakfast is whatever you call breakfast

Octavious

#20 Post by Octavious » Fri May 03, 2019 2:51 pm

e.m.c^42 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:30 pm
But then, when would breakfast be if you pull several all-nighters? and snack every 4 hours or so continuously....for those few days

*ahem*
not that I'm speaking from experience, of course.... :d

I say breakfast is whatever you call breakfast
It's a more difficult scenario, certainly, but can be understood through the concept of relativity. You must view the meals from the consumer's reference frame, therefore your 8am bowl of chips is clearly a snack if you've been working for the previous 20 hours. However when one of the same chips is stolen by your well rested girlfriend who has just awakened, that same chip viewed from her reference frame is breakfast.