Game of Thrones

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
New England Fire Squad
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

Game of Thrones

#1 Post by New England Fire Squad » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:46 am

Worst. Episode. Ever. This is like if Sauron, Saruman, and the Witch King of Angmar all die in the Two Towers, Frodo's destroyed the Ring, and the Return of the King is the Fellowship running around chasing Wormtongue cause he ran off with Shadowfax.

ND

Re: Game of Thrones

#2 Post by ND » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:08 am

lol yeah

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by bo_sox48 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:19 am

Yall watching season 8 and I'm just sitting here like

FlaviusAetius

#4 Post by FlaviusAetius » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:25 am

New England Fire Squad wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:46 am
Worst. Episode. Ever. This is like if Sauron, Saruman, and the Witch King of Angmar all die in the Two Towers, Frodo's destroyed the Ring, and the Return of the King is the Fellowship running around chasing Wormtongue cause he ran off with Shadowfax.
I definitely think they should have killed the Night King in this episode, and the way it happened, doesn't even bother me, literally everything else in the episode
>horrible<

dyager_nh

#5 Post by dyager_nh » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:40 am

The writers dug themselves in too deep. They made the situation so dire that they could only get themselves out of it with a cheesy unrealistic resolution. The random chaos of the battle kind of turned into a drag.
I enjoyed the prior two chacacter and story based episodes.

TrPrado
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Location: OOOOOOKLAHOMA WHERE THE WIND COMES SWEEPING DOWN THE PLAIN

#6 Post by TrPrado » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:12 am

There was absolutely no way to write this season that would be 100% satisfying. The writers realized that the all powerful evil force advancing against humanity played well for other series but wasn’t what Game of Thrones is about (the White Walker stuff was interesting for a while, and the looming threat element was fascinating, but it totally changed the tone of the show after Hardhome and wasn’t ever the best written stuff). The last half of the season can be better for it.

FlaviusAetius

#7 Post by FlaviusAetius » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:20 am

TrPrado wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:12 am
There was absolutely no way to write this season that would be 100% satisfying. The writers realized that the all powerful evil force advancing against humanity played well for other series but wasn’t what Game of Thrones is about (the White Walker stuff was interesting for a while, and the looming threat element was fascinating, but it totally changed the tone of the show after Hardhome and wasn’t ever the best written stuff). The last half of the season can be better for it.
Listen, I definitely am fine with the cheesy ending with Arya.
But not enough people died in the battle, and the battle itself wasn't even that interesting. It was hard to follow to be frank(which I know was the feel they were going for), but they could of at least had 'phases' like the retreating scene, should of been just pure chaos, and it wasnt.

Durga

#8 Post by Durga » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:32 am

can you imagine?? cersei lannister is the fucking end game. more threatening than an army of dead people. i can't deal with this

FlaviusAetius

#9 Post by FlaviusAetius » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:37 am

Durga wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:32 am
can you imagine?? cersei lannister is the fucking end game. more threatening than an army of dead people. i can't deal with this
I'm mad about that too, the ONE good thing that was ACTUALLY interesting was that Dnearys' entire army is DEAD. But apparently not! I thought if Dnearys died, in like a political killing(even if it was perfectly justified) then, wouldn't the Unsullied and Dothraki just rebel and lay rampage to Westeros.

Then what if Cersei came in and saved the 7 Kingdoms from the rampaging armies(even saving the North, as that would be their first target)

brainbomb

#10 Post by brainbomb » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:30 am

Important note the Lord Royce makes no appearances and the riverlands also had no soldiers in the battle. I think the Eyrie will still be a pretty damn good place to take up residence. the bloody gate is great for if youre outnumbered.

And of course, Edmure tully isnt dead, nor is Robin Arryn
so a few noble lords loyal to Sansa still remain.

brainbomb

#11 Post by brainbomb » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:31 am

mostly Dany lost everything. What is left maybe 1000 men at most?

brainbomb

#12 Post by brainbomb » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:35 am

yavuzovic

#13 Post by yavuzovic » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:51 am

How do you make images on forum, bo?

Vaporwave

#14 Post by Vaporwave » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:07 am

blonde girl is the only attractive one in that entire series

BTW, I predict that GoT will be filled with filler episodes, I just love how fans bitch about the content of each episode. They keep people glued to this season but won't deliver, it will always be 'maybe next time' and by the time it ends, you've watched filler after filler

I know how American tv shows work, they prolong stuff cause they have an abnormal amount of seasons and episodes

dyager_nh

#15 Post by dyager_nh » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:45 am

Vaporwave wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:07 am

You find Briene attractive? To each their own...

LeonWalras

#16 Post by LeonWalras » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:00 pm

What is hype may never die. Cleganebowl confirmed.

Vecna

#17 Post by Vecna » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:11 pm

Vaporwave wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:07 am

BTW, I predict that GoT will be filled with filler episodes, I just love how fans bitch about the content of each episode. They keep people glued to this season but won't deliver, it will always be 'maybe next time' and by the time it ends, you've watched filler after filler

I know how American tv shows work, they prolong stuff cause they have an abnormal amount of seasons and episodes
What? Have you even been watching this show? Or are you just trolling? Missandei is smoking hot, and there are so many more gorgeous woman in this show.

I didn't mind the episode as much as people here seem to do. Sure, theres plenty of criticism to be had:

-All the main characters surviving their last stand just long enough was cringe-worthy and totally not in line with GRMM's writing style and what this show was supposed to be.

-Sending your best warriors and only cavalry into a charge to open the battle against an overwhelming undead force was the most laughable battle tactic ever displayed in cinematic history (obvious only done just so the directors could showcase the fancy thing with the lights going out.....which did work out nicely to set the mood).

-Why is this nightking so afraid of bran? Clearly the only useful stuff he can do during a battle is play Raven simulator 2000.

But overall I really liked the atmosphere that they created, the constant feeling of "everyone's going to die, the nightking is gonna win". Even though it was obvious how it was going to end, they constantly made you feel that -maybe it just wouldnt-.

Yes, its clear that the directors have started to try their own thing, but we all knew this two seasons ago already. I was not disappointed by what we got, after going in with the proper expectations.

Tom Bombadil
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#18 Post by Tom Bombadil » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:51 pm

I didn’t mind the episode that much either. Sure this seasons pace is quite rushed and heavy handed in terms of tying up loose ends, but ending a show of this scale was always going to be difficult.

Obviously they had no idea what to do with certain characters, which is fine, but they also didn’t know what to do with the whole White Walker storyline which is less fine, but the meat of the story was always the maneuvering for the throne, not the threat of the walkers so I’m glad we can focus on that the rest of the way.

At the very least, it’s an incredibly well shot and scored episode from a technician stanpaoint, so even if the plot is garbage - it’s some of the most inpressive and immersive garbage out there

TrPrado
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Location: OOOOOOKLAHOMA WHERE THE WIND COMES SWEEPING DOWN THE PLAIN

#19 Post by TrPrado » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:54 pm

FlaviusAetius wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:20 am
TrPrado wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:12 am
Listen, I definitely am fine with the cheesy ending with Arya.
But not enough people died in the battle, and the battle itself wasn't even that interesting. It was hard to follow to be frank(which I know was the feel they were going for), but they could of at least had 'phases' like the retreating scene, should of been just pure chaos, and it wasnt.
Yeah, the opening shot following Sam then following Tyrion was beautiful, and some of the following Jon in a crumbling Winterfell was cool too, but the overall event could’ve done more.

Durga

#20 Post by Durga » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:06 pm

Honestly it was a well done episode. I just thought it was a stupid decision to end the NK plot at this point.