Meyers-Briggs Types & Diplomacy

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Squigs44
Developer
Developer

Meyers-Briggs Types & Diplomacy

#1 Post by Squigs44 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:05 pm

I have always been interested in Meyers-Briggs personality types and how different personalities interact with others, and how different personalities have different skill-sets. That got me thinking, how does MBTI fit in with diplomacy, specifically online diplomacy?

I imagine most people playing here fit into 2-4 different personalities. I myself am an INTJ, which is probably one of the most popular types here. Online diplomacy would attract mostly introverts (I) I would imagine. The Inuition (N) trait would also make sense, since this is very much a strategy game that requires thinking ahead, theorizing, and planning. The T/F trait would be interesting here, since Thinkers would likely be stronger tactically, while Feelers would likely be stronger diplomatically. This trait would probably reveal a divide in the type of games people prefer - gunboat or press. The J/P trait could definitely go either way here, with Judgers sticking to plans and being more likely to have long time allies and draw, with Perceivers being more likely to risk it, change up allegiances, and solo.

If you would like to take the test to see your type, you can go here.

Would be interesting to see what types everyone is and how they think that affects their play.

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Meyers-Briggs Types & Diplomacy

#2 Post by dargorygel » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:15 pm

Interesting... not sure I agree with the J/P tendency to keep or break alliances...

ubercacher16

#3 Post by ubercacher16 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:24 pm

I'm an INT with both J and P tendencies.

I agree with your first three assessments but not as much with the J/P part.

I would say that J's would tend to do things very precisely and logically. So whether they were going for the draw or trying to solo they would do so in a very methodical and planned out way.

P's are much the same. It doesn't matter which route they choose, they will always do it in a more spontaneous way.

Make sense?

Carl Tuckerson

#4 Post by Carl Tuckerson » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:56 am

Not familiar with MBTI but I have done socionics tests before.
I am an "ESTp" in their system. ESTps in socionics are good at understanding space and force, proficient logical thinkers and tacticians, and have a keen innate sense of hierarchy and how to navigate it, but are notorious for being very "bruising" personalities--inattentive to or unconcerned with offending people or running over weaker personalities, crude and unrefined, and have difficulty clearly discerning friend or foe from words alone.

It surprises me not at all given the above that I have taken to gunboat.

Durga

#5 Post by Durga » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:10 am

I'm ENFP which makes me a great ally

New England Fire Squad
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#6 Post by New England Fire Squad » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:25 am

ESTP-A. This makes me a terrible player and even worse ally. My wife says this is the 'dickish' personality.

New England Fire Squad
Gold Donator
Gold Donator

#7 Post by New England Fire Squad » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:32 am

Squigs44 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:05 pm
I have always been interested in Meyers-Briggs personality types and how different personalities interact with others, and how different personalities have different skill-sets. That got me thinking, how does MBTI fit in with diplomacy, specifically online diplomacy?

I imagine most people playing here fit into 2-4 different personalities. I myself am an INTJ, which is probably one of the most popular types here. Online diplomacy would attract mostly introverts (I) I would imagine. The Inuition (N) trait would also make sense, since this is very much a strategy game that requires thinking ahead, theorizing, and planning. The T/F trait would be interesting here, since Thinkers would likely be stronger tactically, while Feelers would likely be stronger diplomatically. This trait would probably reveal a divide in the type of games people prefer - gunboat or press. The J/P trait could definitely go either way here, with Judgers sticking to plans and being more likely to have long time allies and draw, with Perceivers being more likely to risk it, change up allegiances, and solo.

If you would like to take the test to see your type, you can go here.

Would be interesting to see what types everyone is and how they think that affects their play.
More seriously than my last comment, I'm not sure if being an ESTP-A (97% A!) deeply affects the way I play but: I have close to zero loyalty to allies long term, and readily will stab a long time ally and begin working with a long term enemy if it seems that's the way to go. Perhaps this follows with what you said about perceiving vs. judging? The rest of what you say I pretty much agree with other than that this game attracts many more introverts than extroverts- I'm not so sure. If this was Chess then I'd agree, but a game that is at least theoretically based around talking to others seems to perhaps favor extroversion.

jmo1121109
Lifetime Site Contributor

#8 Post by jmo1121109 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:31 am

I can't find any official results from the study the mods of the time ran in the mod email, but this is still an interesting throwback.

http://webdiplomacy.net/forum.php?threa ... hreadPager

Restitution

#9 Post by Restitution » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:37 am

I'm ENTP. And I'm bad.

jmo1121109
Lifetime Site Contributor

#10 Post by jmo1121109 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:47 am

I'm an INTJ as well, and I am quite happy stabbing allies for a solo. As a T my tactics are pretty good, but my press isn't too shabby either. However I suspect it takes a very different shape then the press of a feeler.

Carl Tuckerson

#11 Post by Carl Tuckerson » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:01 am

New England Fire Squad wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:25 am
ESTP-A. This makes me a terrible player and even worse ally. My wife says this is the 'dickish' personality.
Yup. Welcome to the club, asshole. ;)

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#12 Post by dargorygel » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:56 am

So apparently there is a need for a new position in here, alongside contributor, admin, and mod... we need Site Counselors.

Slyguy270

#13 Post by Slyguy270 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:46 pm

I developed a theory in high school that there are actually 8 personality types with a male and female variant of each: Control, Joy, Truth, Strength/Service, Faithfulness, Care, Communication, and Value. Then I got a traumatic brain injury and lost my ability to work on the project. I just want to post this here so that when I'm proven right I can come back here and observe it. :-)

e.m.c^42

#14 Post by e.m.c^42 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:08 pm

dargorygel wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:56 am
So apparently there is a need for a new position in here, alongside contributor, admin, and mod... we need Site Counselors.
I volunteer for being first Site Counselor!

it shouldn't be too hard....whenever someone feels down about their lack of ability in diplomacy, all they have to do is talk to me to realize that no, they actually aren't that bad at it :D

e.m.c^42

#15 Post by e.m.c^42 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:21 pm

And Squigs, on your original topic: INTP/INFP, depending on how much food is in me.

as for how it effects play, it means that I'm one of those idiots who decided chatting with every country in a chaos game was a good idea :d

I like draws more than solos, probably won't attack someone even if it's known ahead of time that they'll stab me, and will happily work with former enemies/former allies who've stabbed me (and had it go wrong). Am also fond of trying to make allies across the board (Russia/Italy, England/Turkey, etc)...as well as all of my neighbors. In other words, will genuinely try to ally with every talking player there is (although, doesn't everyone else do this?)

So basically I'm the best ally you could have since it's pretty much guaranteed you won't be stabbed, and easily invadable :D

LeonWalras

#16 Post by LeonWalras » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:55 am

I'm a libra, which makes me excellent at balancing the board. Almost half of my games have ended in draws.

Crazy Anglican

#17 Post by Crazy Anglican » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:58 pm

I am an ISTP (Obiwan Kenobi on the Star Wars Myers Briggs Personality Test). As far as I can tell it makes my gaming style overly analytical and paranoid. I also whine and cry a lot when I get stabbed, which might also be a factor.

Crazy Anglican

#18 Post by Crazy Anglican » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:03 pm

https://www.geekinheels.com/2013/10/23/ ... chart.html

I messed up I am Chewbacca, which I don’t see him as an introvert at all. I tend to waffle toward Yoda as well.

stragemque

#19 Post by stragemque » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:55 pm

Yep I'm an INTJ as well, had a professor that was into the whole thing so that was from a test a few years ago.

And pretty much agree with your assessment of the types of people that enjoy the game, but personally it all kind of veers too close to woowoo science. I think people are more flexible then assigned categories, changing shape/personality to fit a role. So I guess I think most on here would be INTJ or similar, but because that's the kind of role you need to play the game. (Can't say be good at it, I've yet to win a game!)

Percy Williams

#20 Post by Percy Williams » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:46 pm

e.m.c^42 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:08 pm
dargorygel wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:56 am
I volunteer for being first Site Counselor!

it shouldn't be too hard....whenever someone feels down about their lack of ability in diplomacy, all they have to do is talk to me to realize that no, they actually aren't that bad at it :D
Do you want to be do site counselors as well :-D ?
I have the same qualifications ;)