#FreeAlexNoggle

General discussions that don't fit in other forums can go here.
Forum rules
Feel free to discuss any topics here. Please use the Politics sub-forum for political conversations. While most topics will be allowed please be sure to be respectful and follow our normal site rules at http://www.webdiplomacy.net/rules.php.
Jkump1

#FreeAlexNoggle

#1 Post by Jkump1 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:37 pm

Oof, Ouchie my BONES. They are a hurtin. [email protected] has been banned. :points:Bucks have been lost. "Severe Press Violations" my büaskc. This is an oppression of the people. Alexander Nog cared for this game deeply. He would dedicate hours to making moves and strategizing. He even was going to make a club dedicated to bringing people together with this game. And now he can't, because a moderator banned him, for a meaningless reason. He had privately messaged a friend in a private game full of friends (Who were also doing the same). We have reason to believe that this is because one of the moderators did not like him, as he was banned after arguing with one and was given no chance to justify himself. We think this because our other friends were doing the same private messaging and did not get banned. If we are correct, it would show that this moderator is unable to remain objective in his judgement. However, we are not sure, as our questions have not yet been answered. We call for, you, the people of Diplomacy to join us in the #FreeAlexNoggle Movement. Help us prevent further injustice! Overthrow the corrupt bourgeoisie! Distribute the wealth! Join the proletariat!

- this was a message from a concerned friend, Jkump1
#FreeAlexNoggle

jmo1121109
Lifetime Site Contributor

Re: #FreeAlexNoggle

#2 Post by jmo1121109 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:55 pm

This is unacceptable. Those evil mods have a problem with our group and all we've been doing is making racist usernames, mocking gay people, calling each other the n word, breaking public press and gunboat press rules, and letting each other access our accounts. I don't see how any of this could possibly be related to us breaking half the site rules, it's clearly a problem of a moderator having a personal vendetta against us. DOWN WITH THE MODS. I DEMAND JUST DICE.

e.m.c^42

#3 Post by e.m.c^42 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:08 pm

jmo1121109 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:55 pm
This is unacceptable. Those evil mods have a problem with our group and all we've been doing is making racist usernames, mocking gay people, calling each other the n word, breaking public press and gunboat press rules, and letting each other access our accounts. I don't see how any of this could possibly be related to us breaking half the site rules, it's clearly a problem of a moderator having a personal vendetta against us. DOWN WITH THE MODS. I DEMAND JUST DICE.
Lol.

To be fair, there is a certain generational/community slang gap, in references slang and bants. Were they immature in responding? Certainly yes. Were they outright racist/homophobic? Not necessarily, but that depends - It's really a slippery slope.

Durga

#4 Post by Durga » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:11 pm

i'm no longer behind this cause

FlaviusAetius

#5 Post by FlaviusAetius » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:14 pm

I mean if it was among friends, and no one was complaining, I don't see a reason to stop it...? Me and my friends would press each other in real life when we play this game{yes it would be a game full of only people who know each other in real life}, is that really against the rules, cause oof...

brainbomb

#6 Post by brainbomb » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:26 pm

Jkump1 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:37 pm
Oof, Ouchie my BONES. They are a hurtin. [email protected] has been banned. :points:Bucks have been lost. "Severe Press Violations" my büaskc. This is an oppression of the people. Alexander Nog cared for this game deeply. He would dedicate hours to making moves and strategizing. He even was going to make a club dedicated to bringing people together with this game. And now he can't, because a moderator banned him, for a meaningless reason. He had privately messaged a friend in a private game full of friends (Who were also doing the same). We have reason to believe that this is because one of the moderators did not like him, as he was banned after arguing with one and was given no chance to justify himself. We think this because our other friends were doing the same private messaging and did not get banned. If we are correct, it would show that this moderator is unable to remain objective in his judgement. However, we are not sure, as our questions have not yet been answered. We call for, you, the people of Diplomacy to join us in the #FreeAlexNoggle Movement. Help us prevent further injustice! Overthrow the corrupt bourgeoisie! Distribute the wealth! Join the proletariat!

- this was a message from a concerned friend, Jkump1
#FreeAlexNoggle
Its unclear to me what the movement stands for

dargorygel
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

#7 Post by dargorygel » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:36 pm

The movement stands for not having any common decency. They were banned for EXTREME language. Their subsequent explanations had nothing to do with the reasons they were banned. This group was ridiculous. And they responded to Admins with rudeness, immaturity, and deaf ears. I really like students playing the game on this site... but these folk gave students a bad name.

e.m.c^42

#8 Post by e.m.c^42 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:47 pm

dargorygel wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:36 pm
The movement stands for not having any common decency. They were banned for EXTREME language. Their subsequent explanations had nothing to do with the reasons they were banned. This group was ridiculous. And they responded to Admins with rudeness, immaturity, and deaf ears. I really like students playing the game on this site... but these folk gave students a bad name.
Honestly, the language itself wasn't even that bad - it was not too different from casual day-to-day conversation between certain acquaintances I've had among people my age and lower. However, that really doesn't excuse the immature behavior or lack of connect awareness, yeah.

Jkump1

#9 Post by Jkump1 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:52 pm

jmo1121109 wrote:
Ok JMO, I'm gonna be serious with you now, since it's now obvious that you'll actually respond.
This is unacceptable. Not because I think you or the moderators of WebDiplomacy are evil, but because you have banned a person who actually cares about this game.
I'm not talking about my friend group, because I will give you that some of them are certainly out of line. If they had been banned instead of my friend, it would have been understandable and acceptable. They have been immature and they have used offensive language (though I feel obligated to mention, this was only in private games. Nobody outside the game was intended to see and get offended by the language used).
But I'm not talking about them. I'm talking about Alex, who was banned without any proper reason, who played the game to have fun and bond with people. Out of everyone, he was the most civil while playing the game, especially when it was with other people. He liked the game and this website community so much, he planned on making a club just for it. However, not only can he not play the game anymore, it seems that you, as a moderator, are refusing to take into consideration that maybe you were in the wrong. Maybe a person who cares this much about a game, enough to go through this much trouble and deal with this much slack from you, doesn't deserve to be restricted from ever playing again.
Though, I feel like I should also address the accusations you have thrown at Alex.
The “Gun-Boat and Press Violations” that I believe Alex is being accused of occured in one of our private games. Broken Bones, an anonymous, private, global chat game which was between Alex, me, and our friend group. The point of the anonymous option in the game was so nobody would be able to tell who anyone else was and we could play it like a ‘normal diplomacy game’. However, one of our friends went out of his way to find out who everyone was, somewhat ruining the point of public chat and the anonymous feature. Some of our friends in this game just decided to speak face to face, while Alex and some other people decided to just use the private messaging feature.
As I mentioned before, Alex was not a part of my friend group who participated in particularly offensive language. I might also mention, the language that he did use was never intended to mock a group. For example, “mocking gay people” never occurred. The term “gay”, which had been used by some of my friends, was never intended to refer to an actual group of people or meant to be used in a homophobic way. This slang develops among friend groups you may be a part of, not as a way to be offensive, but as a way to have fun with each other. Sure, you may consider the language to be immature, but regardless, it did not harm anyone as that “offensive” language was sent in private games among friends.
The “Access to other accounts” violation occurred only in private games and really is an exaggeration. We were introducing other players to the website and, in order to get them to understand the game and its mechanics, helped them make their moves in private games that we were a part of. Afterwards, multiple people from our friend group were so surprised that it was Alex, of all people, got banned, many of them were more than willing to speak out on his behalf in forum posts.
But, to be fair, none of this really matters, as it is obvious to us that you have already made your decision. And as a moderator, there’s not really any point in changing your mind when there’s no consequence for you.
This is why our friend group has decided that it would probably be the best idea to just leave this site and the moderators who own it. Unfortunately, we won’t be able to participate with this community, many of whom are actually quite nice and very helpful (See Alex’s WebDiplomacy Club post). We would like to thank those amazing people for their legitimate and helpful suggestions and as we move forth from this site, we will likely use many of them to start our Diplomacy Club.

Adios, jkump1

Percy Williams

#10 Post by Percy Williams » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:03 pm

I think they took my suggestion to learn all the songs from Newsies a little too seriously.

Percy Williams

#11 Post by Percy Williams » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:05 pm

jmo1121109 wrote:
Where can I get a pair of JUST DICE?

jmo1121109
Lifetime Site Contributor

#12 Post by jmo1121109 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:05 pm

In that case best of luck to your group. I highly recommend you read the rules if you attempt to join another diplomacy site. They're all just as intolerant of the type of language and various rule breaking your group has displayed.

And when your groups reaction to getting caught breaking the rules is to throw a tantrum and break even more site rules and cause a scene on the forum instead of waiting for other moderators to be free to give an appeal, you demonstrate to everyone that we can't trust you to take the site seriously enough to play with the people who actually do follow the rules here.