RR and live games

Members can make suggestions for improving the site and improving the forum as well as submit bug reports to be reviewed by our support team here.
jmo1121109
Lifetime Site Contributor

Re: RR and live games

#21 Post by jmo1121109 » Wed May 29, 2019 11:11 pm

Well, I'm definitely seeing some people not understand how the formula works too. RR is based on 2 things.

1. A base % which is a percentage of how many turns you've missed vs how many you've played with nothing else factored in. So it is not accurate that someone who plays a lot of phases and NMR's a couple times is impacted as badly as someone who plays a few. If you have played 2 turns and missed 1 then your base RR is 50%. This part of the RR is designed to be non-brutal and allow you to recover easily by playing more without missed turns.

2. Additional penalties, of which there are 2 types. 1 type is a short term penalty for 1 month's time of 6%. After 28 days this 6% goes away. The second type is a medium length penalty of 1 year for 5%. These are designed to demolish the RR of people who consistently get kicked into CD in their games. Because at the end of the day if you go CD in your game, you're messing that game up for other people and reducing their experience on the site.

Now that said, live games are more prone to them so I'm happy to make a more accommodating penalty format for live games. What I might do is make it so that the penalty for a live game NMR is only 5% and only lingers for 28 days. Then if you get too unreliable multiple times in a month, you're gonna be done with live games for that month, and you can try to be less rude to the other players again next month. But if it's only a couple times then you won't have a problem. If you really want to play in a tournament, they all give about a month's notice for joining so you'd be able to focus on being reliable that month to avoid having an awful RR for the TD.

Carl Tuckerson

#22 Post by Carl Tuckerson » Thu May 30, 2019 12:44 am

jmo1121109 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 11:11 pm
Well, I'm definitely seeing some people not understand how the formula works too. RR is based on 2 things.

1. A base % which is a percentage of how many turns you've missed vs how many you've played with nothing else factored in. So it is not accurate that someone who plays a lot of phases and NMR's a couple times is impacted as badly as someone who plays a few. If you have played 2 turns and missed 1 then your base RR is 50%. This part of the RR is designed to be non-brutal and allow you to recover easily by playing more without missed turns.

2. Additional penalties, of which there are 2 types. 1 type is a short term penalty for 1 month's time of 6%. After 28 days this 6% goes away. The second type is a medium length penalty of 1 year for 5%. These are designed to demolish the RR of people who consistently get kicked into CD in their games. Because at the end of the day if you go CD in your game, you're messing that game up for other people and reducing their experience on the site.

Now that said, live games are more prone to them so I'm happy to make a more accommodating penalty format for live games. What I might do is make it so that the penalty for a live game NMR is only 5% and only lingers for 28 days. Then if you get too unreliable multiple times in a month, you're gonna be done with live games for that month, and you can try to be less rude to the other players again next month. But if it's only a couple times then you won't have a problem. If you really want to play in a tournament, they all give about a month's notice for joining so you'd be able to focus on being reliable that month to avoid having an awful RR for the TD.
Couple questions about this as someone who probably falls under the "some people" mentioned at the beginning of your post :p

1. What threshold of missing turns triggers each penalty? It sounds like the first penalty (6%) triggers if you miss orders without an excuse and get kicked from the game the first time, and the second penalty (5% but lingering) triggers after repeated offenses. If you explained this to me in the announcement thread and I've forgotten please forgive me lol.

2. How do you recommend the average user interpret, say, an 80% RR, 70%, etc.? I realize this is much more subjective, but if I'm remembering right you designed the RR system. It would be awesome to hear from the designer what a new user without game context can reasonably expect of users with varying RR values. (Obviously experienced users can figure it out through their own observation and make their own calls on how to value RR.)

Thanks.

jmo1121109
Lifetime Site Contributor

#23 Post by jmo1121109 » Thu May 30, 2019 1:51 am

1. It's actually easier to show you. Go to http://webdiplomacy.net/profile.php?det ... rID=106448 and you'll see your own RR breakdown. On that page it shows you "Added Penalties" and has a clickable set of questions with explanations. But basically, every un-excused NMR adds an 11% penalty. 6 out of the 11% goes away after 28 days. Leaving a 5% penalty lingering for a year.

2. I set the min default in a game on the game create page to 80%. Which means the average user who does not change advanced settings, will not have to play with people who have 2 short term un-excused NMR's. Those people will get back to the point of being able to play in "default" games within a month. If your RR is below 80 the game creation page defaults the suggested RR to whatever your RR - 1 is. So the general goal there is to quickly weed out new members who NMR once or twice in their first game (their base percentage will be garbage) and to protect new players from longer term members who are habitually unreliable, while still giving everyone punished routes to get their RR back up by playing more phases or waiting a month as punishment for multiple misses.

Chaqa
Bronze Donator
Bronze Donator

#24 Post by Chaqa » Thu May 30, 2019 3:10 am

Edit: I missed a bunch of comments on accident. Let me update

Ezio

#25 Post by Ezio » Thu May 30, 2019 4:50 am

I think there should be a a different RR for takeovers.