Bug with mute function ?

Members can make suggestions for improving the site and improving the forum as well as submit bug reports to be reviewed by our support team here.
SpaceDip

Bug with mute function ?

#1 Post by SpaceDip » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:04 am

Muting a player in a game.
Not sure if this is already reported, but here it goes.
I was playing a FvA game, id=232747.
I muted the other guy (sorry whaskell, it was unintentional). The messages from whaskell disappear as expected. If i unmute the guy his messages appear again, and again that is the expected behaviour. But now, if i refresh the page on the Board button, the guy is mutted again.
Even though the game is already finished i can still see this happening.

In short:
Mute a player :-)
Unmute a player :-)
Refresh the board - the player is muted again. :shock:

Dejan0707

Re: Bug with mute function ?

#2 Post by Dejan0707 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:53 am

I have a fix. Don't mute players.

When you don't want to talk to people play gunboats.

Claesar

#3 Post by Claesar » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:41 am

I'll try to reproduce the error.

Succeeded. The fix is:
Mute. Unmute. Press Global (or some other way of reloading the page without resending commands).

As you know, refreshing the page with F5 will also resend your previously typed message. I believe this is the same thing, as I suspect the command is "toggle mute" rather than "mute"/"unmute". This theory is supported by pressing F5 again, resulting in yet another unmute.

I'm not even sure this is a bug rather than a browser feature. I'll let Jmo be the judge of that though.

ziran

#4 Post by ziran » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:44 pm

i've had a similar case in which a player muted me and mute icons started appearing next to other players.

Claesar

#5 Post by Claesar » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:07 pm

No, that's a bug and it's unrelated..

SpaceDip

#6 Post by SpaceDip » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:23 pm

"as I suspect the command is "toggle mute" rather than "mute"/"unmute"." I think you are right about this.

The mute button places a Post request and passes the id of the power to be "toggle muted" as a parameter.
And the Board button appears to be just resending the last Post request. So if your last request was the toggle mute one, it will be sent over and over again whenever you press the Board button.
I think maybe it would be better if the id of the game was the only parameter of the Board button.

bo_sox48
Site Admin
Site Admin

#7 Post by bo_sox48 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:18 am

This has come up in the past and yes, it’s a function of the browser’s response to the feature more than the feature itself. If you simply return to global press before refreshing (or press with any other player), this won’t happen, but if you simply refresh the page you will be sending your system a command to do the exact same thing you just did, which is use the mute feature.