The Politics of Protest

Any political discussion should go here. This subforum will be moderated differently than other forums.
Forum rules
1.) No personal threats.
2.) No doxxing/revealing personal information.
3.) No spam.
4.) No circumventing press restrictions.
5.) No racism, sexism, homophobia, or derogatory posts.
Esquire Bertissimmo

The Politics of Protest

#1 Post by Esquire Bertissimmo » Fri May 10, 2024 6:58 pm

Here in Canada I've noticed some bizarre inconsistencies in how the police, courts, and public opinion react to various protests. There seem to be deep disagreements about what methods of protest are acceptable.

In recent years we've seen first nations and environmentalist activists block major railroads, pipelines, and highways for weeks and months on end. These eventually get disbanded, but only after imposing huge economic costs.

During COVID, we saw anti-mandate protestors establish months-long roadblocks and encampments. There were even armed anti-mandate groups who camped out by the US border. This attracted a bizarre mix of weak/delayed police responses and, simultaneously, the use of unprecedented federal interference in the personal bank accounts of protestors and their supporters.

Now there is a wave of campus protests re: Israel-Gaza. Some Universities and their local police departments have allowed students to set up little encampments so students can protest 24/7. Meanwhile, others have defended students' right to protest during the day, but have drawn the line at tent cities on private property.

The inconsistent responses to protests have laid bare some fundamental disagreements about what our freedom of expression, peaceful assembly, and association actually entitle us to in practice. This has raised some questions I'm trying to wrestle with:

How should law balance the right to protest against the rights of others who may be adversely impacted by such actions?

At what point should the state enforce a democratically-supported decision against a vocal minority of supporters?

How should the right to protest interact with private property laws?

What role does public opinion play in shaping the police and government response to protests? Should it have an influence, and if so, to what extent?

How should protestors balance the need to inconvenience people to get their attention vs. the risk that they'll turn more people against their cause?

Is the coherency of protestors' demands, or the plausibility of their proposed mechanisms to achieve change, matter in how they're treated legally? Is there a point at which a protest can be so incoherent, or its aims so unrealistic, that it no longer constitutes valid political speech?

Jamiet99uk

Re: The Politics of Protest

#2 Post by Jamiet99uk » Fri May 10, 2024 8:50 pm

There is a lot to unpick here. You're asking at least 10 separate questions. I'd like to comment on some of this. Putting a marker here to try to remind myself to reply later.
Buzz buzz buzz buzz buzz.

Esquire Bertissimmo

#3 Post by Esquire Bertissimmo » Fri May 10, 2024 9:04 pm

Jamiet99uk wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 8:50 pm
There is a lot to unpick here. You're asking at least 10 separate questions. I'd like to comment on some of this. Putting a marker here to try to remind myself to reply later.
My intention here was to offer some introductory thoughts on a complex issue + some discussion questions I thought were interesting.

I don't expect anyone to engage with the whole post at once and I'm very open to hearing others' views on related issues that weren't explicitly mentioned above too!

Octavious

#4 Post by Octavious » Fri May 10, 2024 9:54 pm

The traditional view of the right is that everyone should have the right to protest about any issue so long as it doesn't inconvenience anyone else. The ideal protester stands on his soapbox in Speaker's Corner where he either makes for an amusing tourist attraction or is ignored completely. This is, of course, utterly ridiculous, but it does seem that the left are adopting a similar stance for protests that they don't happen to agree with.

The worst thing that happened to protest in the UK was the war in Iraq, when genuinely huge crowds marched pretty much everywhere they could get away with and were ultimately ignored completely by both the Labour government and the Tory opposition. The belief that protest can make a difference died for a lot of people at this time, and we have never really recovered.

To make an attempt to address some of your questions (which on occasion I do try to do), I do approve of laws that make protesting difficult. I find the message of the protest is greatly amplified if the people making the protest face consequences and do it anyway
I eat cookies to improve my snacking experience

MajorMitchell
Location: Now Performing Comedic Artist Dusty Balzac Bush Philosopher from Flyblown Gully by the Sea

#5 Post by MajorMitchell » Fri May 10, 2024 9:55 pm

Citizens having freedoms of political expression are a core part of democracy

Like jamiet99UK I would like to elaborate but, not today.
Busy, it's 7.30am local time & I have to replace a pulley on a v6 engine, field hockey at 12.30pm.at Goolwa, open mic fund-raiser comedy show 8pm Happy Valley Football Club